Skip to main content

Bloggy Blog #2

"We don't sell alcohol on Sundays..."

"We do in Georgia."

The small plastic clip locking the two cooler doors fell to the floor as I walked past this exchange between a kind, informative gas station cashier and some dude wanting a Coors tallboy for his ride Sunday evening. We're just outside Greenville, South Carolina, filling up and hopefully avoiding any talk with the locals. Roughly an hour away from our destination, I'm not drunk enough and wondering just how a three hour driving distance somehow turned into an almost ten hour production.

Our adventure took us right through downtown Atlanta and its seventy-lane highway that wasn't scary as hell at all. Luckily, I was in the back seat - too consumed with imbibing and keeping my eyes peeled on the fabric directly in front of me, instead of that sucker in the passenger side. The rapid braking and glow of red lights became more and more frequent the further we drove to some suburb twenty minutes away. Food. We needed food. 
Here, apparently. 

The bar was loosely packed with ballcap-wearing men and decent-looking ladies snacking on fried foods and sipping Natty Light cans. Jukebox naturally playing country tunes at unnecessary decibels. We have a few drinks, eat our random foodstuffs, and decide to head back onto the road. After stopping for a brief restroom break featuring classy wall art.

Onward! The hotel was classy. Not dangerous, but classy enough for things to happen. And by happen, I mean changing rooms. Twice. Room number one had no workable ventilation system in place. Plugged in, not on. Called the front desk. Blah blah something about no one able to do it until next weeks. I ain't got that much time lady. She offers to move into a second room...temporarily. Okay, cool. This one was a "suite", which apparently means a separate room for the couch, along with two televisions. Oh, and let's not forget top of the line fresh linens. 
After a good night's rest, we have to move to yet another room. This one less suite-like and more meh like. It serves its purpose valiantly. Sort of. A toilet bowl that sounded like a goddamn motorcade upon flushing was the only minor drawback. Oh, and a housecleaning staff that thoroughly enjoys knocking on doors. Regardless if you told them you're checking out in ten minutes. Ten minutes lady ALRIGHT I GOT IT THANKS JUST HOLD YOUR HORSES. 

Alright, so...back to the road. Well, not before we visited some relatives. Relatives who enjoy tinkering with cars. 
Herbie enjoying retirement in Georgia.

Soon we hop back on the road and venture back to home base. But not before a few more stops involving fuel, visiting, and trying to stay away from Atlanta highways. All in all a good trip, but too long on the tail end. But thankfully, it wasn't due to questionable food choices. 



Popular posts from this blog

Bloggy Blog #84

The first time I visited, I had to park across the street in the lot of an abandoned gas station. The lot itself went up a slight hill, and the station's sign would occasionally spin some slow turns whenever the town spirits wanted to have some fun.  She lived in a questionably constructed building on the second floor of this sleepy Revolutionary War town, adjacent to a craft store that was hardly ever open. In the basement sat a four-lane bowling alley and a small bar. It was by appointment only, which really meant the building's landlord had to be there to serve drinks and keep an eye on the action. I didn't get a chance to bowl down there, but seeing the construction of the building, this was probably a good thing. When she moved out of her place, part of the process involved placing a three-foot wide plank over the bowling alley basement stairs, in order to move big furniture out. Needless to say she left the heavy lifting to the moving experts.  The new plac...

Bloggy Blog #92

 In the February tundra that is upstate New York, in a hospital room some eleven-hundred plus miles away from me, a doctor named Oleg signed off on my mother’s death certificate. She had been in and out of the hospital for a couple months, after falling repeatedly at the apartment. My father had to call 911 a few times to help get her to the emergency room, and after the third or fourth time falling they just kept her there. At some point, she broke her hip. Then she may (or may not have?) caught COVID in the hospital. She wasn’t vaccinated. There was talk of sending her back home (potentially with COVID) which sounded rather suspect coming from medical professionals. Things at home seemed rather unclear about hospice care, so sending her back with a serious pandemic diagnosis didn’t seem like a great idea. My father is vaccinated, but would still have needed to come into close contact with her constantly if she went home. That didn’t end up needing to happen.  I flew to Alban...

Bloggy Blog #88

Ever since I endured another rotation around the sun this month, I have been having trouble sleeping. In the beginning, I would toss and turn for hours, until my brain decided enough was enough. It was usually five or six in the morning until I finally zonked out, followed by twenty to thirty minutes here and there of dreams until I would wake up again. By about ten in the morning I would be sick of this pattern, and just begin my day.  Lately this pattern has shifted to the nighttime. I'm finding myself dozing off around ten or eleven at night, which apparently leads to waking up for good at around four-thirty or five in the morning. Whenever I find myself awake in both circumstances, I can't help but reach for my phone. I'll flip through some apps, over to some news aggregator sites (Farker since the mid 2000's. Look it up) then back to some of the same apps that haven't updated content because, well, it's five in the damn morning, and most people I follow the...