Skip to main content

Bloggy Blog #65

 Look, stop trying to bamboozle me, parmesan garlic popcorn. You inside your violet-colored bag, resting on that top shelf. Top shelf popcorn, you're goddamned right. And you probably deserve it too. I bet you're tasty as hell. I would undoubtedly eat all of you in one sitting, that empty bag collecting dust and dog hairs on the cushion next to mine for the next couple hours. Just inhale all of you, no regrets. All those tiny kernel bits caught in my teeth would totally be worth it. And if you weren't almost four dollars for a bag that's twenty-five percent air, I'd totally buy you - and a few of your friends behind you for that matter.

There's something about a bag of snacks costing more than this price point that turns me off from them. For some reason, I set the bar at four bucks. Even when alleged deals are on the table, I'll scoff at the bargain. Two for eight bucks? Hell no. How about two for seven? Still seems excessive. Two for four? Now we're in my ballpark. I haven't had a brand like Ruffles in ages. Ruffles are like the Air Jordans of the chip world - expensive, hardly ever on sale, and on rare occasion they are, it's still overpriced. That said. I often stick to store brands and take the hit on taste sometimes.

Why is my bar set at four dollars? The plight of good snacking is real. Sure, there's fruits and vegetables and obviously way more healthy options. I enjoy some on occasion, really. But it's simply not the same. The poor folks in the gluten free lifestyle have it worse. Seems like they have to pay extra for just about anything, bread, snacks, you name it. I would just stop eating if my snacks were seven bucks a small bag. Pass out in the streets from lack of nutrition.

Another imaginary bar I've set involves certain pieces of clothing. T-shirts, I won't pay more than twenty bucks for one. That's absurd. It's not even twenty dollars worth of material, is it? I might up the ante to twenty-five dollars for shorts, and jeans a little bit more. Dress shirts? Maybe twenty-five as well. I'm a simple man. And maybe cheap, especially when it comes to comfortable every day wear.

But, back to this food ordeal. Specifically that damn bag of garlic parmesan popcorn that keeps staring me in the face every time I venture down the chip aisle at my local grocery store. I'm not going to buy you right now. You see, right now I'm taking the flavor next to you. It doesn't matter what the flavor is, don't worry about it. It's two for four bucks that's all you need to know. Two bags for the price of one of you. Store brand. Go on sale sometime, will you? The anticipation is driving me insane. But with my luck, sooner or later you'll disappear from the shelves, never to return. How very typical of your kind. 

Popular posts from this blog

Bloggy Blog #84

The first time I visited, I had to park across the street in the lot of an abandoned gas station. The lot itself went up a slight hill, and the station's sign would occasionally spin some slow turns whenever the town spirits wanted to have some fun.  She lived in a questionably constructed building on the second floor of this sleepy Revolutionary War town, adjacent to a craft store that was hardly ever open. In the basement sat a four-lane bowling alley and a small bar. It was by appointment only, which really meant the building's landlord had to be there to serve drinks and keep an eye on the action. I didn't get a chance to bowl down there, but seeing the construction of the building, this was probably a good thing. When she moved out of her place, part of the process involved placing a three-foot wide plank over the bowling alley basement stairs, in order to move big furniture out. Needless to say she left the heavy lifting to the moving experts.  The new plac...

Bloggy Blog #92

 In the February tundra that is upstate New York, in a hospital room some eleven-hundred plus miles away from me, a doctor named Oleg signed off on my mother’s death certificate. She had been in and out of the hospital for a couple months, after falling repeatedly at the apartment. My father had to call 911 a few times to help get her to the emergency room, and after the third or fourth time falling they just kept her there. At some point, she broke her hip. Then she may (or may not have?) caught COVID in the hospital. She wasn’t vaccinated. There was talk of sending her back home (potentially with COVID) which sounded rather suspect coming from medical professionals. Things at home seemed rather unclear about hospice care, so sending her back with a serious pandemic diagnosis didn’t seem like a great idea. My father is vaccinated, but would still have needed to come into close contact with her constantly if she went home. That didn’t end up needing to happen.  I flew to Alban...

Bloggy Blog #88

Ever since I endured another rotation around the sun this month, I have been having trouble sleeping. In the beginning, I would toss and turn for hours, until my brain decided enough was enough. It was usually five or six in the morning until I finally zonked out, followed by twenty to thirty minutes here and there of dreams until I would wake up again. By about ten in the morning I would be sick of this pattern, and just begin my day.  Lately this pattern has shifted to the nighttime. I'm finding myself dozing off around ten or eleven at night, which apparently leads to waking up for good at around four-thirty or five in the morning. Whenever I find myself awake in both circumstances, I can't help but reach for my phone. I'll flip through some apps, over to some news aggregator sites (Farker since the mid 2000's. Look it up) then back to some of the same apps that haven't updated content because, well, it's five in the damn morning, and most people I follow the...