Skip to main content

Bloggy Blog #94

    The last time I went bowling, I was a moody jerk. This is according to various sources whom I bowled with that evening. I don't disagree with them. Every time I have bowled as an adult, I seem to get noticeably frustrated with myself. Not so much because I suck (I do, like many of us), but because I used to be good. Good, damnit! I won trophies as a kid. TROPHIES. I had it man, I really did. 

But, then I stopped bowling. Aged out of the youth league and just quit bowling altogether. 

Fast forward a couple decades later, my bowling game is both depressing and predictable. I will always start out strong, then get progressively worse each game. First game I'll get a few strikes and finish maybe with a 150. Next game less strikes and maybe a score of 96. Final game I'll get zero strikes, maybe one spare and finish with a 72. And no, this isn't because the pitchers of beer we're sharing start kicking in. There's something deeper going on here. Maybe. 

I recently went to an axe throwing place with a friend. They had experienced such an adventure before, but this was my first time. I was completely unsure what to expect, outside of throwing axes of course. The place was fairly busy. There were children! Children throwing axes! We checked in, went over to the drink counter and placed an order. No alcohol here, which is probably a good idea. 

There were three "stations" of two targets on the wall. We got the last station and were soon met by one of the owners. He's maybe around my age, shorter, impressive long black beard. He offers up a spiel I'm sure he has to recite over twenty times a day to soon-to-be weapon wielding guests. One of the rules was no trick shots, and he shows half an example of one trying to go between the legs. WHO THE HELL TRIED THAT BEFORE? Humans are idiots. 

The standard throwing pose it a two-handed grip thrown from over your head, to the wooden target area against the wall. And hoo boy, let me tell you that wall has seen better days. And the drop ceiling. People are throwing these axes all over the damn place, hitting just whatever the hell they can, if they can even hit the target. Bearded dude says it's normal for most axe throwing places to look like that, that it takes some time to perfect your throws. Right on, brother. It's your renter's insurance.

So we get to throwing axes. Both of our first tries went kerplunk, right onto the ground. Same for our second throws. By the third one I finally got the axe to stick and stay into the wall. Not in the target area, but progress! A few more kerplunks and off target hits I finally make it inside the ring. Not a bullseye, of course, but I'll take it. I was getting the hang of it!

Or at least I thought I was. 

After a few successful hits, I started to lose it. I don't know what exactly happened, but I started getting the same sort of yips I do as bowling frames progress. I hit the side of the wall. I hit the floor. One throw hit the drop ceiling. For every successful throw I would miss my next seven or eight. I tried axes of different weights, still no luck. Bearded fellow offered both of us coaching advice, and even he couldn't figure out what the hell was going on. He did note my release points were different almost every single time, but even with some correction I was still stinking up the joint. Similar to bowling, I started out relatively strong, only to get progressively worse and worse for no reason. 

I tried to understand what was happening here. Either I was just losing my concentration or my wrists were seemingly giving out on me. Whatever the case, I couldn't help but draw some parallel to my bowling ineptitude. And in the case of axe throwing, I didn't morph into that moody jerk. At the end of the day, I realized it was all just for fun. Plus no axe sliced into body parts, so everyone wins.

Popular posts from this blog

Bloggy Blog #84

The first time I visited, I had to park across the street in the lot of an abandoned gas station. The lot itself went up a slight hill, and the station's sign would occasionally spin some slow turns whenever the town spirits wanted to have some fun.  She lived in a questionably constructed building on the second floor of this sleepy Revolutionary War town, adjacent to a craft store that was hardly ever open. In the basement sat a four-lane bowling alley and a small bar. It was by appointment only, which really meant the building's landlord had to be there to serve drinks and keep an eye on the action. I didn't get a chance to bowl down there, but seeing the construction of the building, this was probably a good thing. When she moved out of her place, part of the process involved placing a three-foot wide plank over the bowling alley basement stairs, in order to move big furniture out. Needless to say she left the heavy lifting to the moving experts.  The new plac...

Bloggy Blog #92

 In the February tundra that is upstate New York, in a hospital room some eleven-hundred plus miles away from me, a doctor named Oleg signed off on my mother’s death certificate. She had been in and out of the hospital for a couple months, after falling repeatedly at the apartment. My father had to call 911 a few times to help get her to the emergency room, and after the third or fourth time falling they just kept her there. At some point, she broke her hip. Then she may (or may not have?) caught COVID in the hospital. She wasn’t vaccinated. There was talk of sending her back home (potentially with COVID) which sounded rather suspect coming from medical professionals. Things at home seemed rather unclear about hospice care, so sending her back with a serious pandemic diagnosis didn’t seem like a great idea. My father is vaccinated, but would still have needed to come into close contact with her constantly if she went home. That didn’t end up needing to happen.  I flew to Alban...

Bloggy Blog #88

Ever since I endured another rotation around the sun this month, I have been having trouble sleeping. In the beginning, I would toss and turn for hours, until my brain decided enough was enough. It was usually five or six in the morning until I finally zonked out, followed by twenty to thirty minutes here and there of dreams until I would wake up again. By about ten in the morning I would be sick of this pattern, and just begin my day.  Lately this pattern has shifted to the nighttime. I'm finding myself dozing off around ten or eleven at night, which apparently leads to waking up for good at around four-thirty or five in the morning. Whenever I find myself awake in both circumstances, I can't help but reach for my phone. I'll flip through some apps, over to some news aggregator sites (Farker since the mid 2000's. Look it up) then back to some of the same apps that haven't updated content because, well, it's five in the damn morning, and most people I follow the...